Sunday, June 8, 2008

Aquatic Center

After coming home from church for naps, we headed to the aquatic center to meet up with our friends Nathan, Phoebe, & Walker. This was our first time at the water park...and we had so much fun!





Last summer Kate was like a fish in the water. Jumping off the edge, and scaring her very pregnant mommy! (Remember, Jon had already moved south so it was just Kate & me all summer long) In fact, I ended up buying her one of those ugly blow up bathing suits simply because I was afraid my "no fear" child would drown before I could get to her as she constantly leaped into the water without warning.

Well, up until today she has been a little timid around water this summer. But, all her confidence returned tonight!



So, I need some advice. Kate is VERY comfortable around water. Should I take her for swim lessons? Part of me thinks it would be good and helpful in the event that she were to fall into water. But the other part of me worries that it would give her a false confidence that she can swim when really she would only know how to move her arms and legs. Is she too young considering her no fear attitude or is it safer to take her for lessons? Any thoughts?????






Gabe LOVES the water too! He could sit and splash for hours! :)

............



The unbelievably adorable Walker!




After drying off, Kate leaned in for a kiss, but unfortuantely I shot the picture just a moment too soon. :( But, I still thought it was cute....

12 comments:

Apryl said...

I vote for lessons, now is a great time since she isn't scared. Take advantage of her "no fear". And as long as YOU remember she can't really swim I think you are good. :) Choose some that also teach them water safety, that should help as well.
(there you go my 2 cents!!)

Oh, and cute pictures. Glad Gabe got to go in this time.

Laurie said...

I am pro swim lessons as well, but we take Etha for swim lessons to get him over his fear of water as well as learning swimming techniques. I didn't want to buy hi floaties since the hinder them from learning to swim so I bought him this neat thing that straps onto him by SwimWays. It has a flat float in the front and in the back and straps through the legs and shoulders. It is supposed to promote learning to swim. sorry for the long post. :)

Laurie said...

sorry for all the typos - it's early and I haven't had my coffee. :)

Anonymous said...

Now is the time for lessons before something happens & she does get afraid of the water! They will teach her a healthy fear of the water during the lessons, too. Learning with her peers will be fun for her. And Gabe, it's not too early either. It's great mommy-baby bonding time!

Anonymous said...

Definitely yes on the swim lessons!! Children that age can indeed swim. Cody could swim very early and I took him for lessons for 3 years just to brush up and be prepared. Not only for swimming but floating comes in handy as well. The video is a little scary because she may think she can jump in at any time and someone would be there to quicky pull her up, not always so. Love you guys, Jonie
p.s. I went and floated in the lazy river for a little while on Saturday while Cody worked at Pak's belt tests.

Dallas said...

Can you please send some of that water confidence to Hailey? My no fear child, is timid of water.
I am for swimming lessons as well. They might just teach her to respect the water, as well.

Kate & Gabe said...

Thanks for all the comments....I think we're going to do it! I am going to call tomorrow to see if I can get her registered....

Charmane said...

I can't believe the way Kate kept going underwater, and acted like she liked it! It was fun to read all the comments about the swimming lessons. I figured everyone would say yes. Dave and I figure she gets her love of the water from all the fun she has had in the bathtub! Beautiful pictures, as usual. I used to go to the water park ... might have to start going back, that would be cheaper than driving to the beach ... but I do love the beach. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

I think that a lesson is good!! Then you don't have to worry that much!! Witch means more relaxing!! Enjoy what ever you chose!!
Love Andrew Dingman

Anonymous said...

I definitely believe in swimming lessons at an early age. Jon was a baby when we began. In fact, we all give thanks to God for Jon's early swimming lessons--it saved his life at Wet and Wild one summer day!!Maybe Jon remembers the event. Kate and Gabe are adorable in every picture.Pakky

Laurie said...

hey - I tried emailing you back, but it came back undeliverable twice.

Bess said...

Hi!!! I miss you guys. We need to catch up sometime soon. We are staying with Mom and Dad while Shawn continues the job search, which is actually a lot of fun. I want to be back in ATL, but it wouldn't be nearly as fun without you guys!!
Your kids are gorgeous as always! I sound like a broken record, but is so true. I love this blog!!!